Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Learn and Let Live

I believe in enemies.
I believe that enemies offer a valuable perspective of our weakness and our strength.
I don't particularly like having enemies, but they have taught me much and I am grateful.
I do prefer friendship.
(Yes, I just started four sentences with "I" and I don't give a damn if they are in a paragraph, and I know there are people that will quickly judge a person's character by their sentence structure and, well... how is this for sentence structure... f u.)

One of the things I have learned is that to love your enemy does not have to mean that you have become friends.

Having a few enemies has also caused me to look at good causes in a different way.
Being justified and perhaps even correct often results in being unjustified and incorrect, or so it seems from studying what we know of history. For example, when one group of people gets victimized by another group of people those who are victimized have every right to be angry about their situation, to demand respect, but they are not necessarily justified in their retaliation, especially when that retaliation is every bit as brutal and heartless as the original offenses. Bigotry does not justify bigotry. I do not believe in an eye for an eye. I do not believe that when the rivers ran red with the blood of men, women and children that the best answer was for the rivers to run red again with the blood of more men, women and children and yet, over and over and over again the genocide begins with a good cause.

Every good cause without love for its enemies is capable of becoming a bloody genocide.




No comments:


Popular Posts